Friday 20 April 2012

Better the devil you know...???

I am still working my notice and went into the new place on Wednesday night to meet a few people and start to get up to speed. Turned out to be a bit of a shocker - I heard stuff about the lack of support to the initiative I'll be heading up, the fact there was no funding for systems to provide data, and looked at the chaotic way they were doing things - I was totally over-faced and if I'm honest a bit scared. Really made me question things...

The three hour journey back to base gave me time to reflect. I realised accepted the new role because the offer made me feel that another company recognised my ability (sorry yep that's ego!), and the position gave me chance to move on with my life, leave the cr*p behind, and be more financially independent. Seemed sound reasons at the time....After all, I'd had six months of a pretty hellish time....Worked for a duplicitous boss who gave me no support, had 50% of the staffing I needed, and operated under a dysfunctional management team. Whereas now I have a new, supportive, reasonable boss, improved staffing levels, changes to the senior management team, plus recognition of the previous issues. My gut says stay where I am...It's been a culmination of things... the manageable work situation, the uncertainty re. the new role, the lack of stability at home. It suddenly hit me I'm not sure I can deal with more change on top of that.  It also feels as though the  management suddenly realise what I do and the hole I will leave, etc. etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment