Monday 11 April 2011

Pipe dream


According to Wikipedia,
A pipe dream is a fantastic hope or plan that is generally regarded as being nearly impossible to achieve, originating in the 19th century as an allusion to the dreams experienced by smokers of opium pipes.

Once upon a time when the threat of redundancy was hanging over me yet again at my previous employers, I mused what I might do with my pay-off and future. As a child I used to love going to Randolph's Cafe in St.Helens, and an ice cream parlour in Clayton Square, Liverpool which not only sold a multitude of flavours, cones, and toppings but also Belgian Waffles which were decidedly exotic in those days! I dreamed of opening a place which sold everything from Bourbon Vanilla, to Turkish Delight and anything in between. My vision went as far as interior design and clientele. Living in a tourist area with a high number of private schools on the doorstep I am only surprised no one else has stolen my plan.

So why has this idea come to the fore again? One of the aged parents & I took the younger Sprogletts to visit 'Antonios' in Billinge with it's selection of Lime & Liquorice, Lemon Meringue Cheesecake, Raspberry Ruffle, Blue Lagoon, & Bubble Gum ice creams. The whole concept of running somewhere like that still appeals massively... I love the idea of making people happy by providing such an array of delicious treats; for kids to have somewhere special where they can be indulged...

One day when I'm burnt out from this job I will retire and put on a pinny....

No comments:

Post a Comment