Sunday 11 March 2012

Being asked the impossible

is a pretty common occurrence in my current job. Today we heard we are the preferred bidders for a project in Libya. The bid was submitted quite some time ago and at that point I raised concerns about the feasibility of manning it should we be successful. As usual I was patted on the head and ignored....So here we are with contract mobilisation 2 weeks away and no real plan. I love our Business Development guys (not) :o/ Needless to say I envisage having to go out there to sort out the mess. Even if we are able to sort out a transfer from the existing incumbent we’ll have to screen and vet etc. To say it'll be a challenge is a bit of an understatement...the current provider is a Franco/Hungarian outfit which will make it a challenge in itself...never mind the backdrop of Libya itself.

Somehow people seem to reckon I'm capable of sorting this stuff out....Me with my grade B at 'O' level in French donkeys years ago, and my one word of Hungarian - 'Goulash'!

Anyone got a Babel Fish I can borrow?

3 comments:

  1. Bloody hell, just had the last one from the freezer, with a poached egg for breakfast (I don't know if this posts the time, but it is 06:10 a.m.) I thought it was a kipper at the time, but it explains why I was able to understand the news in welsh (there's been a leek in the welsh parliament ...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D So you can add 'linguist' to your many skills Roj? Are you up for a brief stint in Tripoli & Bengazi as a translator?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could be a cunning linguist....

    ReplyDelete