Thursday 1 October 2009

How to scare your mother

Strident student's off doing voluntary work tonight - an out-reach scheme for prostitutes! She couldn't get anything to do with refugees which is what she initially wanted to do, so decided to offer to help with this programme and at a homeless shelter. On the one hand I'm pleased she's so keen to help people, and on the other I'm worried sick about what she might come face-to-face with. She's getting training/briefings from various agencies before she's sent into the red light district. Tonight she's with a policeman talking her through some of the things they deal with. I guess they become pretty jaded with what they come across and the fact they can't make a difference. I know I can't wrap her up in cotton wool but she's still so niave about life. Needless to say she's got strict instructions to let me know she's home safe and to ensure she gets her inoculations (Hep C etc.) up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment