Friday 14 January 2011


So on Wednesday night I found myself at the RAC Club on Pall Mall. One of my suppliers seems to virtually live there so invited me to join him after work. Yep, we all know about the RAC but it's also a private members club. Sounds slightly intriguing? Do I mean Gentlemen's Club, or "Gentlemen's Club"? Nope this place is most definitely not akin to 'Spearmint Rhino' I am pleased to report before anyone starts to think of 'dancing girls' (they'd definitely chuck me out of that type of place or demand a refund ;o) ...more along the lines of the places you see Harry from 'Spooks' meeting a Minister, or an establishment where in days gone by ladies presence was frowned upon.

Any road up (as us Northerners say), it's a fabulous piece of Victoriana, very grandiose with various dining rooms, bars, sports facilities, accommodation and a gorgeous swimming pool in the basement (allegedly the best in London) as well as some pretty impressive murals.

The other first for that night was sampling Hendricks Gin. I've been a bit of a Gin girlie since I was introduced to it by my erstwhile friend the Middle Eastern Correspondent many, many moons ago, and nowadays I can rightfully claim it as mothers ruin ;o) I've tippled a large selection of brands but Hendricks is something else; hand crafted in Scotland, with an infusion of cucumber and rose petals...simply delicious and most definitely my new favourite. I also commend to you a visit to their Curiositorium (aka website) which is like The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus meets Monty Python...quirky and I like quirky...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful place. But, I found myself drawn more towards that gin. I love Beefeaters, but now, I WANT Hendricks, and I want it NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was well worth visiting and I sincerely hope I get invited back at some point. Bombay Sapphire used to be my fave but I definitely now prefer Hendrick's. I think it's the slight flavor of rose...I reckon it stems back to making 'perfume' with rose petals as a child. I distinctly remember nibbling on them...that could explain a lot ;o)

    ReplyDelete