Sunday 5 December 2010

Being the birthday fairy

is quite a responsibility at the best of times but this weekend she had her work well & truly cut out. Ladened with cards, pressies and cake, ably supported by her trusty assistant Miss Sensible we headed to the grim north for Strident Student's significant celebration.

The motorways were fine, but as soon as we took the junction for Chesterfield it was a different world. The council had obviously had the snowploughs out but despite their best efforts only managed to clear one lane of the dual carriageway into Sheffield and the piles of snow at the kerbside were something else. I'd packed a shovel, a thermos and a blanket just in case but was beginning to think I might be forced to consume said birthday cake or use it to bribe the rescue services if we got stuck! Not sure how far I'd have got without 4 wheel drive, as it was I still had to abandon the car near the bottom of Crookes and do the rest on foot.

The lovely lunch at a restaurant in the Dales was out of the question but we found a fab bistro within walking distance of the house, then later in the afternoon we had a tea party with the housemates which was quite possibly followed by a night of drunken debauchery once her Mum & sister left ;o)

....Still can't quite believe I have a 21 yr old!

2 comments:

  1. You’re not remotely old enough to have a daughter of 21! I mean, you’re only my age :-)
    The enigmatic, masked blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta Mask! That's made my day as I'll very shortly be a year older than you :o(

    ReplyDelete