Friday 26 February 2010

Over & out

Had hoped to just quietly slope off to the pub for few drinks and then disappear but my boss had other ideas. He'd been conniving in the background :o/ Various people had provided pics and anecdotes of my exploits over the time I've been there which had been collated into a slide show which was projected to the assembled masses. Couldn't get over how many people had turned up - they'd opened both sides of the large conference room & there were people stuffed in standing at the back! The slides encompassed a fair amount of stuff I'd have happily had left buried, & excruciatingly embarrassing but having said that some quite amusing to be reminded of. Some very touching things said & needless to say I ended up a bit weepy. Presented with a lovely new suitcase, beautiful beaten pewter photo frame, some handmade jewellery, a large box of very yummy chocolates, & huge bouquet of flowers, as well as books & specially compiled CDs for the flight. Mrs. W also gave me a lovely pewter token with a compass on one side & the message "to find your way" on the reverse which I will carry with me on my travels. With any luck our sneaky-beaky guys have inbuilt a secret homing device in case I get sold into the white slave trade or lost in the desert! ;o)

Even after all of that, plus clearing my desk, re-signing the Official Secrets Act and handing back the phone, Blackberry, access pass etc., it still feels completely surreal...as if I'm having some time off but will go back there as usual at some point. After almost 10 & a half yrs it's hard to believe I've walked away. Anyway...best bury the sentimental stuff....

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great send-off! Do you have a copy of the slides to put on your Blog? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was absolutely lovely...felt quite humble & am sooo going to miss people.

    ReplyDelete