Friday 12 February 2010

Letter of resignation submitted!!!

It'd got to the point of no return really. Angst about it and kind of feel guilty for walking away from something unfinished which I passionately believe in - not my normal style.

Ironically I’ve just had HR Director of my new company on the phone panicking about a start date. I plan to join them on 3rd March and will fly out to Dubai that night and then on to Afghanistan. I'll be staying in Kabul where I gather it's currently snowing. She reeled off all the stuff I’ll need, long sleeved tops that'll completely cover me up (which I don't have), cargo pants (have some, don't fit any more), walking boots and waterproofs (tick!)...glam eh? Adds a whole new dimension to 'wardrobe crisis'. Also need various jabs and malaria tablets. Deep joy.

We discussed priorities for the new job - I'll need to sort out someone to do polygraph testing in Afghanistan so we can check potential recruits are not insurgents, plus, I need to recruit a doctor able to assess whether someone's suffering from post traumatic stress or combat fatigue...!!!


Stage II of plan is a trip to Fiji in June. Apparently I need to meet the Tribal Leader ...how weird is that? Whole new world out there! Considering my current company is sort of global, I've actually been operating in quite a narrow environment.
Surreally I feel quite excited. Best not to think about the negatives I reckon...look on it as an adventure, but talk about starting at the deep end!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so exciting, you need a new challenge as you have well outgrown QQ. Best of luck and if you need a bag carrier for Fiji let me know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :o) Definitely will do...
    I foresee a new dimension on wardrobe crisis...what does one wear to meet a tribal Leader??

    ReplyDelete