Friday 24 September 2010

Not that easily shocked but...

Interviewing for a reasonably senior post in one of the hostile environments. Generally I find the experience pretty interesting listening to the candidates talk about their experience etc. but the last session of the afternoon floored me completely. The guy had plenty of relevant skills and had worked in the country so, so far, so good, as we got to the end of the interview and I explained the next stages of the recruitment process and the vetting involved he said,

"I need to declare to you that I've got a criminal record"

...ok...

Some offences are time limited so I asked if it was something which was likely to be 'spent' at some point...staring me right in the eye he responded..."it was downloading offensive images."

....NO idea how I managed not to react and professionally draw things to a close but apparently the Director who was with me was impressed with my composure... Hmm... only hope I don't ever have to deal with that scenario again...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm . . . must have been a horrible experience.

    As I’m currently looking for work, perhaps I could ask you what I should and shouldn’t say in an interview? I’m not exactly good at selling myself. But, I will bear in mind, not to mention offensive images ;)
    The enigmatic, masked blogger strikes again

    ReplyDelete